Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 08:20:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Richard Chang <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lesstif (motif compatible) package.

On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, Richard Chang wrote:

> > You can certainly configure fvwm do do this, usually on Alt-Tab.  fvwm
> > also allows for modules, which is nice.  One of the modules available
> > (currently only for fvwm95) gives me the *ONE* feature I like from Win95,
> > which is a bar with a button on it for each window, so I can click on a
> > button and go to that window (uniconifying as necessary).  Now if only
> > the bugger would go on the right of the screen instead of the top or the
> > bottom. :-)
>
> 	Hmmm, I am using fvwm and it only does it with Alt-F7/F8 and not
> Alt-Tab, how did you get it to work with alt-TAB?  Also, is the bar with
> a button actually a feature that comes out of the package or do you need
> to configure fvwm to do it?

A long time ago, I edited my .fvwmrc to do this.  It's really not hard to
do, once you understand the layout of the .fvwmrc.  In fact, there's an
amazing list of things that you can do once you learn to modify the
.fvwmrc.  From a routine in the .fvwm2rc, I believe that you can now set
up an action (menu, button, hotkey, etc) that will bring your mail
program to the front, uniconify it if necessary, or *RUN* it if it's not
already running.  Haven't been able to get it to work yet, as the sample
is for xmh, and I'm using pine.

Here's the key bindings you are talking about

Key F7  A       M       Next [*] focus
Key F8  A       M       Prev [*] focus

I *BELIEVE* (haven't tried it in 2.0) that the line

Key Tab A	M	Next [*] focus

should do the trick. (Suddenly, he realizes that he's running Fvwm95
*NOW*, so modifies his .fvwm2rc95, restarts Fvwm95, and comfirms that it
works)

As for the task bar, it is included in the sample fvwm95rc file that
comes with the Fvwm95 distribution.