Date:      Sat, 02 Apr 2005 11:46:17 -0600
From:      Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
To:        racerx@makeworld.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: console mail client

Chris wrote:
> Gert Cuykens wrote:

>>> I use Mutt.  Mutt is a MUA, and needs to be used in conjunction with
>>> other apps
>>> like fetchmail, and your choice of MTA (like exim, postfix and others).
>>> Procmail is a very handy mail filtering app.
>>>        I was introduced to Mutt by a friend who is totally blind.
>>>
>>> Sincerely and Respectfully Yours
>>>
>>> Wayne M. Scace
>>>
>>> k9bsd (at) k9di (dot) org
>>>

>> so if i understand it corectly the hole mail thingie is based on
>>
>> -a mail client (mutt) -a mail sender (sendmail)
>> -a mail storage (postfix)
>> -a mail receiver (fetchmail)
>

> Not entirly ...
>
> Mutt, pine, elm, etc. can be made to use your ISP's smtp and pop server
> (for example).
>
> If you wish to run a mailserver, you need both pop and smtp servers
> (assuming you don't want to use imap etc.)
>
> Mutt, Pine, Elm, mail - are mail clients.  The sending and rec. engines
> would be the likes of sendmail, postfix, qpopper, qmail, etc.
>
> Fetchmail on the otherhand, is a device that pulls your mail from your
> ISP (for example) and brings it local.

If you are unsure what these do, one way is to go to the ports tree of
these apps, read the Makefile or the pkg_desr.  Most of the time then
have a URL listed where you might gain information in the forms of an
FAQ, install process, etc.

--
Best regards,
Chris

At the end of the semester you will recall having
enrolled in a course at the beginning of the semester
-- and never attending.