Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 1997 08:30:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I have a CD-rom!

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Mike Smith wrote:

>> [I got a CD-rom]
>
>Hah.  This is what you get for not thinking ahead and buying a laptop
>with one integrated.  People laugh at me for recommending this;
>"they're so BIG and HEAVY", but when I slap a CD in and blast them out
>of the room, or suck stuff off one to save the day, well, who's
>laughing THEN? 8)

Yea, but aside from initial bootstrap of Win95 and stuff, I haven't needed
one.  So for the last two months you've been schlepping it around, and I
haven't.  The CDrom on my desktop PC has been sitting idle for months.
Some people use them a lot, but for what I do they're rarely useful, so
I'm still happy with[out] it.  As soon as this unit (or a similar one)
works, it's gone.

>As well as this, we'll need the 'pccardc dumpcis' output and the
>resource declarations from the top of your /etc/pccard.conf file.  I
>suspect that either the trailing space in your version string is wrong,
>or that config index 0x9 requires resources you haven't made available.

AAARgh, there it is:  'pccardc dumpcis'.  I was sorta tired last night and
couldn't remember this command.  Tried to puzzle it out, but I know the
problem I think:  no man page?

>Also, you will need the PAO patches to the aic driver (at least) to get
>this working under mainstream FreeBSD.  Let me know if you need help
>with this.

Hmm, that's a drag.  Oh well, I've already decided to take it back and get
a unit that's powered through the pccard port.  I'd like to avoid having
to make the jump to PAO if I can;  the boss' laptop is somewhere else and
I don't *really* want to spend a weekend getting the PAO stuff working,
just so I can go do it again on his machine!  :-/

Sigh.  Thanks for the help.

Brian