Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:27:43 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
Cc:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>, Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Newbie packages

# andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu / 2002-10-14 03:48:31 -0700:
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, David Johnson wrote:
> > Rick Hamell wrote:
> > > At this point this almost sounds like it'd be easier to add to
> > > each port's description.... If the user is going to have to to
> > > through the trouble of reading each of these that'd be easier. I
> > > still think as "suggested" list is the better track, heck even
> > > both would be a good idea.
> >
> > But at last count there were 4004 packages! I don't want to get this
> > document too involved, only a few packages in each area, and just a
> > couple of comments for them.

    this won't work. I mean, such a document will never see the light of
    the day. see the bikeshed faq entry.

> > What I am trying to avoid is spending hours going through all of the
> > package descriptions during installation.

    well, you only do that during the install, and only if you so
    decide. when i started using FreeBSD (switched straight from W2k)
    I spent hours in the package descriptions trying to figure out what
    I'll need. I installed lots of junk I *never* used. Now I install
    the base, cd /usr/ports and install the ports I *know* I will need.

    occasionally i need to install new software. then I go to
    /usr/ports, make search name=thatsoftware... and this is what
    perhaps should be recommended initial software setup. heck, i can
    even give you an example implementation :)

    "don't let the sheer amount of software packages the installer
    offers you to install overwhelm you. install only those packages you
    know you will use. you can always come back here by typing
    /stand/sysinstall from the command line should you need to install
    additional software. if you don't know what you need to install at
    all, why are you installing FreeBSD in the first place?"

    (the last sentence is optional :)

> > By now most of us know which ones we use and need, but for the first
> > time user, particularly if they aren't coming over from the Linux
> > world, 4004 choices to make is VERY intimidating. One friend of mine
> > tried out SuSE and aborted the installation to take a deep breath.
> > And it only had about 2000 packages. His first question to me was
> > "which editor should I install, 'cause there's twelve of them here?"

    IIRC sysinstall mentions ee someplace during the install. given it's
    basically notepad in console it's very newbie friendly.

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE