Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:06:05 -0800
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.COM>
To:        imp@village.org, phk@critter.dk.tfs.com
Cc:        lithium@cia-g.com, security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: blowfish passwords in FreeBSD

Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.dk.tfs.com> writes:

> I have personally witnessed a P5/60 with a ISA card with some
> ASIC's break a well chosen password that was DES encrypted
> using bruteforce.
>
> It took slightly less than 3 hours.

Hmm.  2^56 possible keys, so on average, you'd need to try 2^55 keys.
Say it takes 2^14 seconds (that's a little more than three hours, but
about right); then this board was doing 2^41 encryptions per second,
or roughly 2 million per microsecond.

Now *that's* what I call brute force :-).  How much does this
ISA card with the ASICs cost :-)?

(If I've erred in this analysis, I'd be happy to stand corrected.)

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.