Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 00:59:17 +1100
From:      Andy Newman <atrn@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: M$ refund..

> Is this not an option in US ?
>
>                 /Peter

I can't talk for the US being in Australia but I always buy from
people who give you the option of not paying for a MS operating
system. This usually means not buying from a big-name company
but many suppliers assemble systems from quality parts at very
reasonable rates. The whole license mess that's been uncovered
seems to be far more of a problem for the larger Microsoft OEM
customers who've simply shipped the Microsoft license agrement
as part of their products without considering its implications
to themselves (I'm sure they had people read it before shipping
product [at least the first time] but they probably dismissed
the possibility any consumer would reject the purchase based on
the license, if they read it at all). The exact legal interpretation
of the agreement is still open (AFAIK) but seems to allow the refund
route if "product(s)" is interpretered to mean the Microsoft OS
alone. That seems okay to me. I'm not even entitled to a refund so
I can't be biased ;-)