Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 22:07:28 -0500
From:      Vladimir Silyaev <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.org, mdillon@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: long hangs running vmware -- vm system interactions?

>/var/tmp (or where-ever), mmap'ing it, and then touching the pages.  I'm
>not sure what the sequence of events for creating the file is, but one
>suspects they seek to create a sparse file, and then the touching of pages
>causes the pages/blocks to be allocated sequentially.
It just create file, mmaped it, unlink it and seek at the end.
The big difference with comparsion with normal operation, that vmware
mmaped pages are not just touching, but also being 'wired'.

Just my five cents ;)
--
Vladimir

P.S. You shouldn't run/connect rtc if you are not really need it. It just
eating CPU as a dog.