Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 21:59:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@video-collage.com>
Subject:   Re: STOP THE BLOODY CROSS POSTING!

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> IMHO, this should be handled by mailing list software. Make sure
> no-one gets the same message ID twice is rather simple, since all

This is easy.  If you only want to "get" the same message ID
once, then filter your own messages based on message ID.  Goto
line 320 or so of procmailex(5).

There are other people who may subscribe each mailing list to a
specific email address (eg. jkh-freebsd-current@time.cdrom.com,
jkh-freebsd-stable@time.cdrom.com, etc).

Even more importantly, if a message is cross-posted, then it
SHOULD belong in all the -lists it is cross-posted to.

Consider: I may only scan the -current list today because I'm
short on time.  Unfortunately an important notice was
cross-posted to -announce and -current, but the stupid
mailing-list software only sent me the copy that was posted to
-current.  Because I only briefly glanced at the -current
messages today before hitting 'd', I totally missed this
announcement.  If I had been sent both the copy to -current and
the copy to -announce, I would have noticed that there was an
important announcement.  So long as we filter on Sender:, two
copies must be sent.

Or, consider another case where I keep my own personal mail
archives.  Again, I need a copy for each -list.

> Once such software appears, the mailing chapters can probably,
> be amended :-)

Cross-posting merely encourages over-use of the mailing-lists,
even with such mailing-list software as you envision.  By
encouraging cross-posting, your subscription to -current will
slowly become a subscription to -current, -stable, -hackers,
-chat, and -questions.  By then -alpha and maybe -smp will
probably have taken off and you'll start getting those postings,
too.  All through -current.

And this, of course, belongs on -chat.

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.