Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 1999 08:34:30 -0500
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Documentation Project <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Style Challenge!

On 7 October 1999 at 13:59, Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Jacques Vidrine wrote:
>
> > Although I agree with Narvi that pure whitespace/formatting changes
> > mostly just make it harder for the translators.  Don't go around
> > changing spaces after sentances unless you are already rewriting.
>
> No. This is completly ass-backwards.
>
> Make one commit to correct the formatting.
> Make one commit to change the sentence.
>
> Try and be at least somewhat familiar with policy before making
> these suggestions.

Grouchy much, Bill? :-)

I simply meant that rather than making a bunch of whitespace changes
for the sake of it, wait until it has to be rewritten anyway.

i.e.

   This paragraph has some incorrect information, as well as bad
   spacing after periods. It must be completely rewritten. I'm not
   talking about simple spelling changes and whatnot.

   Here is the new paragraph, with updated information.  The sentences
   are brand new.  It would have been stupid to make two commits -- one
   to replace the paragraph, and one to s/.[ ]/.[ ][ ]/ the paragraph.
   Don't you agree?

I don't think this is unreasonable.  And I'm not saying ``mix formatting
commits with content commits''.

Relax. ;-)

Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / nectar@FreeBSD.org