Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 09:59:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Daniel Konnoff <konnoff_dc@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   adaptec aha2940u2w on release 4.0

 Hello!

  The other day I did a fresh install from cdrom of
  release 4.0 on a machine that was running release
  3.4 without trouble.

  This machine has an Adaptec 2940u2w scsi card
  on the pci bus. The initial boot of release 4.0 and
  all others filled the console screen with the
  following message:

  AHC0: Data Parity Error Detected During Write Phase

  This was using the GENERIC kernel with all scsi
  devices enabled.

  Needless to say none of the scsi devices attached
  to this card were accessable (disk, cdrom). I
finally
  got rid of the console messages by commenting out
  the ahc line in the kernel config file and
  rebuilding a new kernel.

  Just to be sure I had not completely lost it I
  reinstalled the 3.4 release from cdrom on the same
  machine and the scsi card and system worked fine
  again.

  Can anyone out there shed some light on this
  problem?

  Thanks in advance!

  Daniel Konnoff