Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 05:14:56 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Mbone at WC ? (was Re: 3.0 RELEASE)

> > > You know there is the MBone for this sort of scenarios and it
> No kidding.  Our ISP played with it for awhile (for watching NaNOG
> meetings), and gave it up.  They're now sending people to the meetings,
> since it was much cheaper and useful than using the Mbone, which is
> useless given the current 'lag' and 'loss' on the net as a whole.
>
> PHK's 40% packet loss to CA with normal traffic would make the MBONE
> more than useless.  It would simply waste bandwidth with no gain.

i agree that mbone loss can be very bad at times or for some areas,
but there are other applications where multicast would still work well.

For example, for some time i have had an fec-based reliable multicast
application (RMDP) which would be an ideal solution to things like
distribution of new freebsd releases etc (to mirrors and/or end-users)
if only the server had multicast.
Jordan's message in this thread makes me thing that this could become a
reality now...

I myself have used this between freefall and here, over unicast UDP,
at times where the loss was so bad that normal ftp would stall all the
time.

see http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/fec.html for details.

Microsoft has also a report (see research.microsoft.com and look for
Jim Gemmel's page) indicating interest in such a technology, and there
are many companies using similar technology.

	Cheers
	Luigi