Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:33:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@ipinc.net>
Cc:        "'Sheldon Hearn'" <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, "freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: i386/2598: ep0 in eisa mode hangs if ep0-device (isa) is enabled

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> It's really up to whomever is responsible for the ep driver to decide how
> to respond to the original PR and I hadn't seen a response.

Actually this is the first time I've seen any reference to the original
PR.  I must have missed it when it was submited or when I went through and
searched GNATS.

> I know that often these drivers become unsupported when the original
> author moves on and nobody picks up the driver.  I would guess that
> few developers doing any work on ep at this time have access to an
> EISA box let alone a 3c579 card, and it's most likely that this bug
> will never get addressed, since ep seems to be used more for pcmcia
> cards and other cards than EISA 3c579 cards.

Nope.  I've got 3c509s, 3c509Bs, 3c579s, and a PCMCIA version of the
Etherlink III.  I've also got a number of EISA systems I can test with.

:)

> So, failing anyone stepping forward I figured that this is probably
> better served by simply explicitly prohibiting the condition in the
> documentation, rather than mucking with the driver itself, since
> chances are remote the driver will ever get mucked with!

Actually I've got a better solution for the problem; The databook suggests
that the I/O address for a board that is activated in EISA mode will be
set to 0x3f0.  If this is the case then a simple test will allow the probe
method to bail on such boards.

> There is presidence for this - for example the Buslogic 742a card will
> be detected first by the EISA probe then later by the ISA probe which
> will spit out lots of error messages, the solution with that is the
> same, disable the ISA bt probe.

I've got a few ideas about that too.

> We do say in the readmes to disable all probes for cards not in the
> machine but we don't say exactly why to do it, nor give examples, thus
> it's human nature to figure that disabling probes is not that
> important.  We also say that eisa cards are probed and there is one
> place somewhere that we do say to disable the isa probe on a dual-use
> driver, but it's buried, and certainly not referenced in the man page
> for ep.  So the submitter certainly has a point - we didn't explicitly
> tell him to not do it, so why should we say it's his fault when he
> does it?  That's also why I made the doc change recommendation.

There is a non-conflicting way of doing this.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |