Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:01:08 -0600
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pppd and incomplete arp entries

On a 2.2.5 machine (installed from the CD), we have two dialup
lines which are used for ppp and provide access to the corp. network
(and the Internet).

I'm running pppd on these lines from /etc/ttys with a command line of:
/usr/sbin/pppd -detach +chap 38.245.99.3:38.245.99.254 ttyd0 115200

Most of the time it works fine, but at times the proxy arp fails
and I end up with an arp table entry like:
ppp-in-1.swd.ara.com (38.245.99.254) at (incomplete)

Now, anyone dialing into this line gets stuck, as it appears that
pppd cannot replace this with a correct entry.

I've kludged it with a cron job running every 10 minutes to clean
this up, but I'd rather it not happen in the first place.

Checking the mailing list archives, it seems like this problem
should have been solved in a much earlier FreeBSD release.  Why an
I seeing it?

Kenneth