Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:40:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@Root.COM>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Chad Shackley <chad@gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > 	Ah David, just the person we were looking for. :-)  So the Cisco
> > 2501 isn't that good of a router?  How much does it cost for the 4000 and
> > is there a AccessPC Card version of it?  We're going to install the Dual
>
> I think you should talk to Cisco - David is unlikely to be a walking
> price book for Cisco products. :-)

	I know, I wanted to know how much it costed you guys for the 4000
:-)  I know what a 2501, 2507 and 7010 costs but never encountered a 4000
series before.

> > Pentium 75Mhz with 16MB of RAM.  We had been in contact with Paul Berggren
> > in Sales for CRL Networking and he said that we can get a T1 router for as
> > low as $650 but what kind of router would it be?  He did ask us what kind
>
> Ask Paul? :-)

	I did and he was talking about a CSU/DSU instead of a router...

> > of router we have now but what would be the correct answer for the
> > FreeBSD+card?  As I understand it, you're the contact for the networking
>
> "We're using FreeBSD and a sync-serial card." :-)

	I just hope ISPs don't have anything against Unix based routers.
:-)   Ofcourse I can say that FreeBSD has kicked everything else so far
including SUN SparcStation 20's so it should do very well... :-)

Vince
GaiaNet Corporation - Unix Networking Operations - GUS Mailing Lists Admin