Date:      Sat, 01 Apr 2023 17:51:09 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: two USB sound cards on the same FreeBSD system with jackd

On Sat, 2023-04-01 at 16:35 +0200, white-wolf wrote:
> to connect ardour and hydrogen with jack and alsa (or else)

Hi,

before I migrated from Linux real-time pro-audio to Apple for audio and
other artwork, one of my domains was jackd with the alsa backend on
Linux. On FreeBSD your backend is most likely "or else".

Most likely I cannot help you with FreeBSD audio, but at least I can
contribute something related to your request in general, what ever
operating system you are using.

While it's possible to use two audio devices on Linux and probably on
FreeBSD, too, it requires to sync those audio devices, either by
hardware, for low-end devices it might be possible via SPDIF (prosumer
and professional devices provide word clock or the less good ADAT sync)
or by software resampling.

Is there any way to sync those two devices by hardware?

If not, google for FreeBSD and audio device sync by resampling software.

Related to the COVID-19 pandemic I was forced to use Zoom and similar
hells on earth. It was already a PITA on iPadOS, just for video
conferences without my guitars involved, by just using the integrated
audio device.

In a nutshell, if possible use one audio device, don't try to make two
audio devices a virtual single audio device, since you don't need two or
more construction sites. Use one audio device, one input channel for the
microphone and another channel for the guitar. Depending on your audio
device you might need additional pre-amps.

Using a wireless audio device makes it way more error prone. If possible
avoid using a wireless device. Even if you should be fine with getting
Bluetooth to work, the wireless related IRQs affect the whole audio
chain.

Try to get a working setup by just using a single non-wireless audio
device, you much likely have enough to struggle with getting Zoom or
else to work, so don't make it more complicated by trying to sync two
audio devices and don't make it extra complicated by using a wireless
device.

Just my 2 Cents (I'm serious, this isn't an April hoax)
Ralf