Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:49:38 -0800
From:      "Paul M . Lambert" <plambert@plambert.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ldconfig finding libraries, but ld is not.

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Yes, but not about what you hoped. Back when I did that kind of thing,
> I did a better job than that.  Let's see - off the top of my head,
> I've network mounted /usr (the Linux solution to this problem), /opt
> (the Solaris solution), and used rdist, rsync and perforce to do the
> distribution.
>
> The bottom line is that taking the name people have standardized on
> for installing *local* packages and installing system-provided
> packages there is a bad thing(TM). None of the solutions I used
> suffered from that flaw.
>
> 	<mike

Ports are not provided by the OS.  Neither are packages.

If there's a problem with a port, it's not the responsibility of
the people with commit access to the OS source.  It's a _port_.
It belongs in /usr/local.

Items distributed with the OS and maintained by the maintainers of
the OS belong in /usr; items specific to each machine (which may
not be on the next FreeBSD machine you encounter) belong in
/usr/local.  Code I've written myself, I put in /usr/local.

It seems reasonable that /usr/local/lib doesn't get special treatment,
since it doesn't _need_ to have special treatment for everyone.
Most Linux distributions want to work perfectly out-of-the-box for
everyone, leaving them somewhat less-than-optimal for many situations.
In my experience, FreeBSD take the opposite approach: the OS only
includes those things necessary to boot on a reasonable selection
of hardware, and do basic networking and so forth.  All the tools
necessary to _add_ to the system are available, but there's very
little extra "fluff" in the base distribution.  Because this "added"
software isn't actually part of the OS, the OS doesn't automatically
assume that /usr/local/lib is important.  Seems reasonable to me.

I'm aware that you disagree, and I don't begrudge you that right.
But I would like you to be made aware that there are many of us
out here who feel that the FreeBSD way meets our needs better than
stuffing absolutely everything that anyone can figure out how to
put into an RPM into one directory tree.  The method used by many
Linux distributions meets other needs.  And anyone with any experience
with UN*X whatsoever can make both work in either capacity.  I see
no need to change anything.

--plambert

--
I hate bombs, terrorism, fear, plans, future and past injustices,
manifestos, popular sentiment, ignition, timetables, meetings, and