Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:37:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Driver help

"dumb" is relative and fungible.

It's a tradeoff between doing the connection management in firmware (as with
the QLogic) or in the Kernel (as with Tachyon products mostly). It depends on
whom you believe ultimately does a better job.

Doing it in firmware allows the driver writer to manage the ULP stuff a lot
better because you're not so distracted by the low level ruckus.

Doing it in the kernel allows you to avoid all those nagging and persistent
questions of "why the hell did the f/w do/say/barf&&turn-left-against-a-red
*that*?"

-matt