Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 18:27:59 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESS 1969 sound support?

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 17:02 -0400, Vivek Khera wrote:

> There was mention that OpenBSD recognizes this chip.  How
> different are the sound driver upper layers between OpenBSD and
> FreeBSD?  Would it be a simple copy with some minor adjustments
> or would it be pretty much a rewrite based on the info gleaned
> from the driver?  I'm sure porting the Linux driver for this
> chip would be a lot of work...

I'm sure that this will not lead to very quick results, but I
want to point out that ALSA is heavily modularized.  The low
level card routines are separated and all the other layers share
common routines.  So I could think that OS dependant parts are
isolated, too, and could get wrapped or substituted.

There should be a website at www.alsa.org if someone wants to
have a look at it.  And maybe www.suse.cz has a link now that the
main author and originator works there.  And finally
www.freshmeat.net holds copies.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net