Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:16:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
Cc:        se@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New 3D software available

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Marc van Woerkom wrote:

> Hallo Stefan!
>
> > > This is my recipe to get it compiled.
> > >
> > > Should I roll a port?
> >
> > Ummm, I have a completed port waiting for a week already, but had no time
> > to commit it ...
>
> No problem, beam it up! :)
>
> I had put no extra work into it, except that I tried the Win32 binary
> on a NT box with a Matrox G200 in the meantime. (*)
>
> Part due to having not much time, part due to waiting for GEL
>
>     http://gel.urstudios.com/
>
> and a possible QDraw update.

A QDraw update will be a few weeks I expect. I'm currently working on
something else (a custom exporter for Maya for our game artists to use).

> (*) Strange comparsion was that, by the way:
>
> The full screen demo 'ripples' ran very fast under NT/G200/PII-300,
> but 'triangle', a demo that runs in a window, and some others ran
> very slow compared to FreeBSD/TNT/K6-300.
>
> Is it possible that a G200 does full screen acceleration only?
> Or my driver setting suck?

The slowdown is caused by an ugly workaround which I put in the even
handling system on win32 to try and handle some problems with NT threads.
I hope to have a better solution for the next release. If you have win9x
or win2k, you might try the DX driver instead of OpenGL which is a *lot*
faster.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com