Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 1999 14:01:48 -0700
From:      "Craig W. Shaver" <cshaver@infoseek.com>
To:        LutzRab@omc.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loadbalance webservers

> Subject: Loadbalance webservers
> Sender: owner-freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> We have the problem to split the traffic to a busy website on two or
> more webservers. This needs to be done in a way that the client doesn't
> realize that there are different machines serving the same domain.
>
> We use 3.2.STABLE with apache 1.3.6/php.
>
> Is there an approach to do this under FreeBSD?
>
> I guess that yahoo.com does not have just one frontend webserver...
>
> lutz rabing
> -OMCnet Internet Service GmbH-

I've seen two that work pretty well, but they are not shareware/open
source.  One method is to use cisco local director.  The cisco people
are coming out with a revision on this that allows you to run a load
input back to the director from a program running at a specific port on
your individual web server.  That would allow you to determine a factor
that tells the cisco box how loaded you are :).  That could be
determined by load, cpu utilization, memory usage, swap, etc.  The
current version of local director uses the number of connections and any
predetermined heuristic that you input for load balancing.

Another solution is Resonate.  I am currently using that on
http://translator.go.com/ for both the front ends and back ends.  It is
very flexible and can be configured to do all sorts of custom load
balancing.  It can even be used to map a single port to multiple ports.
They have a version for Linux, but not for freebsd.  Maybe if enough of
us ask they could do one for freebsd.  They seem to be pretty responsive
to my questions.  They run agents on multiple servers that have been
ifconfig'd to answer to the same ip.  The agents talk to each other and
do heartbeats.  One agent is the master, another is the failover
scheduler, and the rest are just plain servers.  This package is easy to
set up and administer.  I like it.

--
cshaver@infoseek.com (408)543-6451
Craig Shaver, Productivity Group