Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 06:03:41 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   More or Less and GNU

I've noticed some commits to -current and ports over the last week that
indicate that Berkeley more is being replaced by GNU less.  Granted
less is a better product and I use it myself, my question is about GNU
licensing.

First, from the standpoint of GNU licensing this is a bad thing.

Secondly, I've seen numerous discussions on various mailing lists about
why not to do something or another because of GNU licensing, yet we
replace applications with Berkeley licenses with GNU licenses.  Why are
we then so concerned with GNU licensing in the first place when we so
quickly replace a Berkeley application with a GNU application,
especially when, at least as far as the features I use, behave so
closely?

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC