Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 12:38:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        dennis.glatting@software-munitions.com (Dennis Glatting)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anybody actually using gigabit ethernet?

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Dennis Glatting
had to walk into mine and say:

> In reading your message I felt compelled to ask you a question. Are
> you using gb end-to-end? That probably isn't a good idea because in
> TCP the sequence numbers can wrap within timeout periods and the data
> stream become undetectably (from a TCP perspective) corrupt.

You didn't read what I said. I don't have a gigabit ethernet switch.
I only have cards. Therefore the *only* way I can test the operation
of the driver and adapters is to connect two machines with gigabit
cards back to back with a patch cable. This automatically implies 'using
gb end-to-end.'

As for corruption due to TCP sequence number wrapping, I don't know
what to tell you. I never noticed such behavior in my tests, but that's
why I'm asking for feedback from other people.

-Bill