Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:55:29 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        Anastasia Leventi-Peetz <leventi@fgan.de>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freeBSD-Linux SuSE via ftp

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 04:44:43PM +0200, Anastasia Leventi-Peetz thus sprach:

> but I give directly the address
> ftp 3ffe:....
> so that no DNS must be started for the connection.

Makes no difference.  The system to which you are trying to connect
will use DNS on IT'S side to resolve a name against the IP you used
to connect.

> The SuSE "box" really uses
> dns before files, but if it gets the appeal from a certain address
> must the dns first be started? Do I fail some important information
> at the point?

If you IP isn't in the DNS on the far machine and you have control
on that machine put your IP in the FAR machine hosts and run files
first.   It's all dependant on the far machines name resoltion.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com