Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 11:43:18 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.dk
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

Søren Schmidt scribbled this message on Dec 4:
> > > 	3.0 will be one _hell_ of a milestone.
> >
> > Especially if we manage to do the ELF transition before then. :-)
>
> Oops, that triggered my bad concience :)
>
> Well, we (John P, Peter, myself) have had ELF running on our test
> systems for quite some time now, the userland stuff is all there
> (give or take). Its possible to boot an ELF kernel, but we need
> to do some serious work on the bootblocks if they are going to
> support BOTH a.out & ELF.

also, if we are going to move to ELF, we also need to write a kernel
linker for the ELF libs too...  right now we only have an a.out linker..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD