Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2014 13:50:54 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Phil Shafer <phil@juniper.net>
Cc:        sjg@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, marcel@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XML Output: libxo - provide single API to output TXT, XML, JSON and HTML

Phil Shafer wrote this message on Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:31 -0400:
> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
> >The real question is how it will be perceived if we are *not* actively
> >going UTF-8 by that time?
>
> And moving toward UTF-8 won't be simple.  I just tossed a couple

If we don't start, we won't ever move forward...

> of file from http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/examples/ into a
> few apps that are supposed to support UTF-8 (emacs, vim, firefox)

Why not nvi? :)  I just tried out nvi w/ UTF-8-demo.txt, and was
surprised that it worked well..  there are issues w/ combining
characters, both stargate and Thai, but that's an issue w/ nvi
escaping those characters instead of displaying them..  my terminal
was Terminal.app from MacOSX...

less and more appear to work, and handle the combining characters
properly...

vt works, but we need much better font support..  The default font
is missing lots of math, linguistic, APL, georgian, Thai, Amharic,
runes (though MacOS's font I'm using misses these too), Braille
(this should be easy for anyone to add), and I believe Japanese...

> and the results were underwhelming.  Skimming the description of
> xterm support for UTF-8 gives some appreciation for how complex
> this crap is (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#xterm).

I must say, from my brief test, I'm surprised it worked as well as
it did... :)

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579