Date:      Thu, 25 May 1995 11:08:38 -0400
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   More info about my sound card problems.

OK - I've finally gotten some information from MediaMagic
regarding my sound card woes.

1) They will not tell me the phone number of the "chip manufacturer"

2) The "chip manufacturer" apparently will not call me back with programming
   information.

3) The "chip manufacturer" is OPTi (I had to beg and plead to get that much.)

4) The IRQ settings, etc... are stored on an ASIC on the card, not in
   NVRAM.  So, a hard boot restores the default configuration.  If you
   want a different configuration; you have to program the chip.  (The
   tech. support guy indicated they weren't too happy with this situation,
   and several others, but OPTi wasn't about to change this.)

So - at this point I'd like to ask the group:

	1) Does anyone have OPTi's phone number, so I can call them
	   directly.

	2) Are other sound cards that have this phenomena, if so,
           what to people do about the printer wanting to use IRQ 7.

	  - Thanks -
	- Dave Rivers -