Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 09:54:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        ljo@po.CWRU.Edu
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCI plug-n-play on Intel Premiere Baby II?

>  The Intel Premiere II (aka Plato) uses shared ISA interrupts if you
> don't mark enough ISA interrupts as available (vs "used by ISA card")
> in the plug and play subportion of the BIOS setup.
>
>  I've used three PCI cards all at different IRQs on this board.
> (video, frame grabber, and NCR810).

Since these all 3 have different ``classes'' in the PCI config space,
the Plato BIOS will infact assign them to 3 seperate interrupts if
they are available as you stated above.  The real nasties come in
when you try to get 2 disk class controllers to be on seperate
interrupts, then the nightmare begins.

Some one is sending me a FAX on what one vendor came up with for
fixing this.  I will try to create a FAQ entry using that info.

>  I'm more worried about the things Rod have said about multiple bus
> masters. I plan to use this board with NCR810 and an Imaging
> Technology bus-mastering PCI frame grabber.

2 masters, you should be okay.  Don't try to add a bus mastered Ethernet
card or another disk controller though, you will have problems.

> Jonas
>
> PS I've succesfully used the BitFlow Raptor PCI frame grabber under
> FreeBSD. This was all in user mode using /dev/io to read some PCI
> BIOS variables (memory address and IRQ line) and /dev/mem to mmap
> the registers and memory (8MB region). This is shared memory access
> and the read speed is ~15.5MB/s on 90MHz Plato.

Cool...!!