Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 03:11:06 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 11:06:28PM -0400, Will Andrews wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 04:44:47PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Well, I've certainly seen more "I'm against it!" cries than I've seen
> > "I'm for it!", leading me towards thinking that maybe it's Just Not
> > Worth It and the standard lpr is just fine and can be augmented by
> > apsfilter for those who want more out of it.
>
> I concur.
>
> My motivation for originally supporting LPRng was because the 26,000
> lines of code extra (or whatever it was) was much less than the amount
> of junk apsfilter installs that I don't need.

And if you were willing to install apsfilter in the first place,
then you probably wouldn't have a problem with installing LPRng
from ports, either.

I wouldn't mind seeing our lpr do some of the things apsfilter/LPRng does.
Years ago, apsfilter was tiny, but it did everything I needed/wanted it
to do.  That old version would suit me fine today.  Unfortunately, apsfilter
has also become *very* bloated.

Having worked on problems with lpr/lpd in the past, I would rather stick
with a more mature piece of software, rather than bring in something
new.

I'm also willing to test/review changes to our current lpr/lpd,
since I've worked on it/used it in the past, under various BSD systems.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mppsystems.com