Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:50:00 +0100
From:      Gerhard Schmidt <estartu@augusta.de>
To:        Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-python@freebsd.org, linimon@freebsd.org, bug-followup@freebsd.org, miwi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/118773: x11-toolkits/py-qt and devel/py-sip don't need python2.5 as port states

--------------enigDB6CB38C69962A238087C4A8

Danny Pansters schrieb:
> Py-2.5 became the default python around the time that PyQt4 update arri=
ved,=20
> and I have proactively set USE_PYTHON=3D2.5+
>=20
> There *have* been certain problems with PyQt4 with python 2.5- (fixed b=
y the=20
> author but you never know what else may lurk). Also, PyQt4 development =
uses=20
> py-2.5 now.
>=20
> Also, the PR originator should have CC'd me, or may be just ask why I m=
ade=20
> that decision.
>
> I do not approve this patch. PR originator can use his patch locally an=
d solve=20
> any future problems arising from that locally as well.

There is still no information why the decision is made.

Using USE_PYTHON=3D2.4+ will still install python2.5 by default but whoul=
dn't
prevent the port form being installed on python2.4. So where is the gain =
in
your decision.

Python2.4 is still widely used. E.g. Zope doesn't run on 2.5 so all users=
 of
Zope have still 2.4 installed. Your decision causes many problems without=
 any
gain.

Regards
   Estartu

--=20
---
Gerhard Schmidt    | Nick : estartu      IRC : Estartu  |
Fischbachweg 3     |                                    | PGP Public Key
86856 Hiltenfingen | Privat: estartu@augusta.de         |  auf Anfrage/
Tel: 08232 77 36 4 | Dienst: schmidt@ze.tu-muenchen.de  |   on request
Fax: 08232 77 36 3 |                                    |