Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 14:56:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
Cc:        "Nate Williams" <nate@yogotech.com>, "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>, <chat@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ftpd bug in FreeBSD through at least 3.4

> From: "Nate Williams" <nate@yogotech.com>

The response is often 'upgrade to Win98'.  I'm not going to pay $150 for
them to tell me that again.  PHK just gave you the same 'support' that
Microsoft would give you in a support call for free.

(Seriously).

> > There are *lots* of critical bugs in Win95, NT3.5, and NT 4.0 that exist
> > today.  Microsoft's response to the bugfixes is 'We don't support older
> > versions of the OS.  You must upgrade to a supported OS (WinME, Win2K),
> > in order to get up to date support.)
>
> Microsoft adopts a policy of supporting a product based on the percentage of
> users using it.

This is simply not true.  Microsoft drops a product as soon as
possible.  Trying to get support for older versions of software is
nearly impossible, unless you have a boatload of cash.  However, that
same option exists for you.  FreeBSD has a number of developers who will
jump through all kinds of hoops for you, for a *LOT* less money than
Microsoft charges for support.

> They guarantee at least two revisions old will be supported.

This is simply not true, at least in my experience.  They have told me
and my users too often that upgrading is the only 'viable' alternative,
short of spending mega-bucks that no company has the ability to spend.

(Especially with their obnoxious licensing/upgrade policy...)

Nate