Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 1996 09:40:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        boot@mosquito.com (Bruce Bauman)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, boot@itchy.mosquito.com
Subject:   Re: csh hanging around after disconnect

> Hi. We're an ISP using Livingston portmasters and running 2.1-stable. Our portmasters
> are set with an idle timeout of 30 minutes. I have noticed that when users get booted
> off by the timeout, their csh process hangs around. Is this a bug? Or am I doing
> something wrong on my end. We don't reboot our server very often, so this ends up
> being a problem for us.
>
> Also, we run the poppassd daemon so that users can change their passwords via
> Eudora. We have the same problem - if a user disconnects in the middle of
> changing their password, the process hangs around forever and ties up a pty.
> Does anyone have a fix for this?

I've seen Portmasters do all sorts of strangeness with TCP/IP connections,
be it SLIP or rlogin...  I believe you're running into another variant of
one of my old complaints about Portmasters (and the reason I religiously
steer people away from these marginal devices)...  the Portmasters do goofy
things when connections go away.

In this case, if memory serves, try putting an Ethernet sniffer (or FreeBSD
with tcpdump) on the wire.  Connect up, watch the packets.  Drop the
connection and I would bet a small sum of money that you do not see the
Portmaster close down the connection correctly (if at all).

MY fix for this particular type of brokenness has always been to enable
SO_KEEPALIVE  :-)  In YOUR case, I would say it's easier to disable the
misfeature on the Portmaster and install a Perl script (etc) on your UNIX
box to kill idle connections.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968