Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:48:22 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net>
To:        <cmankin@harbornet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD network hired guns?

Clark Mankin said:

> For example, whereas it's true my "default router",

Although I (we -- I note the numerous other replies!) can't be sure unless
you draw for us the topology of your network, I _suspect_ that the
confusion is right here.  The "default router" (as in the "defaultrouter"
variable in /etc/rc.conf) is whatever device is forwarding packets off your
_local_ network, whether you call that device a "router" or not.  What
makes me think the confusion lies here is this next excerpt:

> as you call it, is
> at IP 209.180.198.22 I can only get there on eth0 (xl0 - ep0 ??) via
> the gateway of 0.0.0.0

Although, as others have pointed out, "eth0" is meaningless, the fact that
your are trying to forward packets "via the gateway of 0.0.0.0" (which, in
this context, you are presumably using as an alias for the default route)
to what _you seem to think_ is your "default router" at 209.180.198.22,
leads me to believe there is (at least) another machine/device between you
and whatever is at 209.180.198.22.  It will have its own IP address, and
that's the address you need to specify as the "defaultrouter"
in /etc/rc.conf.

Unless I've missed something (and that's likely, as not all the information
is there), this doesn't sound too complex.  If you can draw a diagram,
someone around here will be able to sort it out for free. :-)

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net
mailto:paul.hoadley@student.adelaide.edu.au