Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:05:56 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lifestyles of the rich and shameless (no longer US Immigration)

Frank Pawlak wrote:

> We could debate this forever.  I find those numbers very hard to believe.  I
> spent the major portion of my university career in the study of Labor Economics
> and the numbers you quote in noway represent anything that I've ever seen.

I thought so.  It's easy to see there will not be any reasoning in this
"discussion."  Of course you find those numbers hard to believe, they don't
agree with your preconceived notion of what we're discussing.

> The facts of this issue are that the real wages of the American worker has
> fallen since the early 1970's.  Which means that the average worker is less
> well off than they were in the early 1970's.  Real wages are the dollar wage
> adjusted for inflation, or adjusted for the cost of living.

Or are we just trying to buy more with similar wages?  Does this "statistic"
take into account the average American house built in the 1990s is TWICE THE
SIZE of the average American house built in the 60s?  Does it take into
account the average American house now has something like 4 color TVs in it?
Not to mention air conditioning, computers, video games, stereos, satellite
dishes and/or cable, multiple phone lines, etc.?  NONE of which were any
where NEAR the norm for the (probably lower-) middle class neighborhoods *I*
grew up in, in the 60s and 70s.