Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:20:59 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Joel N. Weber II)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plugin? (Re: Complaining at Warner Brothers? )

Joel N. Weber II stands accused of saying:

> Incidentally, don't think that you're going to get plugin functionality
> in E-scape.  The unavalibility of source for plugins makes me uninterested
> in supporting them.

Even though the interface to plugins _is_ clearly defined and
documented?  Are you so narrow that you will only interface to other
source-available products?  Is this why there is no GNU sendmail? 8)

> (IMHO, plugins allow you to do some of the things you could do if
> you actually had the source, in a way that requires more work for everyone.)

No, plugins let the user extend the functionality of their software
without having to have the source, or the resources to build it.

> Are there more than a half dozen plugins out there which
> are truely useful?  Is there anything other than Shockwave
> and RealAudio that are really useful?

The Tcl plugin is pretty damn handy.  IMHO you should make your
browser more, not less, modular.  Not only does it make your job
easier, it makes life easier for someone wanting to develop an
extension either for general distribution or with a specific target
group in mind (eg. for an embedded or vertical solution).