Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 22:47:47 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   No! Crapintosh bashing

Michael Porter writes:
 > Ahhhhh, I feel better now.  I hope I don't get banished off these
mailing
 > lists for this, but I had to say it.  I don't have anything against
*people*
 > who use crapintoshes, I just can't understand why they would want
to.  Here's
 > my major grievences:
 >
 > 1:)  I've heard they're hard to upgrade.  I've never tried, so this
could be
 > totally wrong

It is.  They're a piece of cake to upgrade, modern Macs come with both
SCSI and PCI built in.  All RAM is SIMM or DIMM, and was long before the
PC crowd discovered them.  The quality of the physical case is much
better than the average PC as well; you rarely need *any* tools to open
a Mac.

 > 2:) Although I've heard that the PowerPC chip is *very* good (hey,
it's made
 > by Motorola and IBM, it's got to be at least pretty good!) Comparing
same
 > software on same price systems, and similar chip-clock-rate systems
yields
 > better results on IBM compatibles (my tests and my friends)

If you're comparing MacOS figures, probably not.  If you stick a decent*
OS on there and compare Apples to PCs, the performance difference is
remarkable.  180 Mhz 604s seem might fast compared to any Pentium, and a
350 Mhz 604 blows through Pentium IIs.

 > 3:) Crapintoshes used to have superior graphing abilities.  Not
anymore.

Yes anymore.  You can get some decent stuff for PCs these days, but not
without working at it.  You can get Mac graphic cards that support 1600
x 1200 x 24 bit, and all you have to do is plug it in and run an
"enabler" program.  That's it.  Unless, of course, you're trying to find
an X driver* for it.  <Sigh>

 > 4:) NO SHELL USE!!!  AACK!! My friend (a Crapintosh supporter) says
you can
 > buy software for shells.  Hmmmm....I've never heard of any.

Why would you want to do that?  Just install MacBSD (basically NetBSD)
or MkLinux.  Makes a formerly silly Macintosh into one screaming fast
workstation.

Caveats: this is not the world's most popular computing platform, nor
the strongest supported version of NetBSD or Linux.  Find X drivers for
Mac video cards is really hard; XFree86 doesn't seem very interested.
On the other tentacle, you can get some really blistering performance
out of these puppies.

Or, you can get BeOS, if you're object-oriented enough.  ;^)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing for the Macintosh as the ultimate
computing platform.  I hate one-button mice and think they're still
overpriced, but they are nowhere near as bad as most "PC dweebs" make
them out to be, and still a damn site better than any Microsloth
offering,
regardless of the hardware it's running on.

Wes Peters
Softweyr LLC
http://www.xmission.com/~softweyr
softweyr@xmission.com