Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 1998 08:58:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
To:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:-stable suitable for small-enterprise NFS server?

 Ben> I can't imagine that this would be the case . . . but are there any NFS
 Ben> issues I should know about before building a ~12-user -stable NFS box?

I had asked a similar question a while back (couple of weeks ago). You
can check the mailing list archives.
The gist of it was:
1. Always use nfs v2 mounts -- use mountd with the -2 flag, and
   expressly tell nfs clients to use nfs v2 mounts, for e.g. in solaris
   use the "vers=2" option in vfstab(?).
2. nfs v3 is more unreliable than nfs v2, at least in FreeBSD
3. Get a decent card (Intel Ether Express is a good one right
   now). Unfortunately, we're stuck with a 3com 3c905 (vx0), which
   seems to work ok so far, but doesn't give great performance.

>From my testing so far, with a 2.2.5-STABLE (980303-SNAP) nfs server:
1. SunOS 4.1.x clients : very reliable.
2. Solaris 2.5.1: still testing
3. AIX and Linux: will be testing.

 Ben>  Ben

Viren
--
Viren R. Shah
"Creeping featurism is a disease, fatal if not treated promptly"