Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 23:01:27 +0100
From:      Dave Boers <djb@relativity.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Marius Strom <marius@alpha1.net>
Cc:        Dan Papasian <bugg@bugg.strangled.net>, Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current lockups

It is rumoured that Marius Strom had the courage to say:
> Well, there was a discussion a few weeks back with Soren Schmidt and a few
> others.  I believe the conclusion was made that this occurred with most WD
> drives (interesting about the WD == IBM part, I did notice he mentioned
> that in -current a few weeks ago as well).  I had a WD20 gig that would
> just hang, and a number of other people had similar problems. (Theirs
> would log "Lost Disk Contact" in the dmesg as their root dev wasn't a
> UDMA66 drive)

Interesting. I'll check my own archives of -current to see if I can find
the discussion. I always thought that the "Lost Disk Contact" messages were
due to the disk recalibrating itself after six days of continued use. After
Soren increased the timeout from 5 to 10 seconds, I never saw the problem
again, IIRC.

For the record, (see my mail elsewhere in the thread) I have recently added
an U2W SCSI harddisk to the system (because I found that the UDMA
effectively cuts off memory access for the two celeron's for long times and
because the celeron's haven't got nearly enough cache they are effectively
waiting for the IDE disk all the time) and I'm now running my root
filesystem on that drive (as well as most of my other important
filesystems). So I guess that if your assertion is right then my problem
should have gone away now.  I haven't seen any "Lost Disk Contact" messages
recently, however, though the UDMA66 drive is still connected.

BTW, are there any people out there that have similar hangs and are NOT
using UDMA66 or the ATA driver ?

> Unfortunately, the discussions occurred while the mailing list archive was
> kaput (WD Drive on UDMA66? =]) so it's not archived where I can find it.

:-)

Regards,

Dave Boers.

--
  Dave Boers             < djb @ relativity . student . utwente . nl >
  Don't let your schooling interfere with your education. (Mark Twain)