Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 1995 16:34:32 +0000
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: grafx console & DDB

>>> Terry Lambert said:
 >
 > I think I could argue against the VM86() story from another angle
 > as well; a VM86() call to video BIOS is no more likely to be able
 > to restore from a wierd video mode than a BIOS call would be able
 > to reset 16550 serial ports out of FIFO mode.  In other words, the
 > BIOS might not know how to reset the modes, or if it does, it
 > might not know how to reset everything that needs to be reset if
 > the mode wasn't established using the BIOS in the first place.

Hmm...
The above is a bit of speculation and it solely dependent upon the
BIOS implementation. We could change the X server to make VM86 call
to set the vga resolution  or the call could be issue from the console
driver and  it will save a lot of headaches;additionally
we could provide and option to use the current mode setting in the
X server for those rare exquisite moments in which someone wants to
play with vga sync parameters ...

	Now all what we need is the VM86 call :)

	Amancio