Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:16:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Looking for a new laptop

It is my current understanding that the Dell Inspiron 5000e is actually
manufactured by Compal, and their N38W2 is extremely close to the Dell
machine.

However, one difference is that the highest resolution I could get for the
Compal machine is 1400x1050, while that for the Dell is 1600x1200.

I also believe that one of the ChemBook models is the same machine,
though I believe it is available at 1600x1200.

I have been pretty happy with my Compal-made N38W2 (although its
resolution does make certain projection devices less-than-happy).  I
would be unsurprised if a native 1600x1200 resolution would make
emulation of 800x600 fairly trivial.

One thing I should mention is that if you drive the machine fairly hard
(keep doing "make buldworld", for example), the fan noise can get to be
annoying using the BIOS settings I use:  the machine does get a bit on
the warm side.

I have been trying to keep information as to what was involved with
configuring it at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/laptop.html
reasonably current.  That includes a floppy image for upgrading the BIOS
so APM works, as well as BIOS settings, and notes on the XFree86-4
XF86Config.

(I built -CURRENT again this morning, and it's currently building today's
-STABLE (4.3-RC).)

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.