Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:20:00 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Nicolai Petri <nicolai@petri.cc>
Cc:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@vip.cybercity.dk>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is MTRR? ... and slow xine.

Nicolai Petri wrote:
> > > I'm fiddling around with xine. It still segfaults on me, but I'm able to
> > play a few bits anyway.
> Is the dvd drive you're using region locked ? Try see if a unlocked firmware
> exists.

As far as I can tell, if the dvd is encrypted your chances of playing it
under FreeBSD are pretty low.  I've found the only way to play a DVD is
to rip it and decrypt it on disk, then point xine at the unencrypted
file.  Unfortunatly it won't try to use the IFO, so playing anything
subtitled can be painful (especially if the subtitles are stored across
multiple subtitle tracks, as they are on many DVDs).  Also, if his DVD
was region locked, he wouldn't even be able to read the file, much less
get a couple of frame fragments out before dying.

> > Xine skips a lot of frames though but it's not due a slow CPU, it only
> > eats up 50%-60%. Rest is idling.
>
> I found it to be a problem with sound on my machine. Try running xine with
> the '-A null' parameter.

One thing that worked for me was to stop and resart the playback with
xine.  If you have the 1/2 framerate problem (and not just lots of
dropped frames) then that can workaround it.  BTW this problem went away
when I upgraded my soundcard to an EMU10k1.  The dead giveaway is if the
sound is only playing at 1/2 speed.