Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 21:55:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        Maarten de Vries <mdv@unsavoury.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on IBM's X335 series

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Maarten de Vries wrote:

> - does it cope well with this many CPU's and this much RAM?

While this was not on IBM hardware, we've had issues with more than 1GB of
RAM on Intel mobos (Intel SRMK2 server) and Supermicros.  Both would lock
hard under medium load when more than 1 GB or so was in active use.
Pulling out RAM made the problem go away (all RAM, including the 1GB left
in the box was the same type/brand - Samsung).

These are all dual processor boxes.  Also had some issues getting SMP
working at first on the Intel boxes.

Hopefully the 5.x train will deal with modern hardware a bit better; this
recent experience was a serious time-drain, and without a panic and dump,
there's no help available.

Search the -stable archives to see what folks have to say about "large"
configurations.

Charles