Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 21:57:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/pine4 Makefile (fwd)

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics...

I haven't looked, but I'll bet that most of the 4299 hits you got for pine
were in code that concerns fairly useless-to-attack areas of code like the
CUI (screens, menus, text areas, etc), config file IO, etc... Since the
program isn't suid or guid, a stack overflow in the menu code might let
you become *gasp!* yourself - whee!

I have to admit that with *that* many incidences of a cancer like that,
some of it is likely to be attached to a vital organ or two like mailspool
header parsing or such. Aftre all user input isn't the problem, external
input is, isn't it? - Jy@

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> Perhaps I'll move to mutt, the same command gives only 92 occurrences :)
> Mutt on the other hand has sgid binary installed..
>
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > It almost killed me to see this:
> >
> > mollari# find pine4.21 -type f | xargs egrep '(sprintf|strcpy|strcat)' | wc -l
> >     4299
> >
> > Don't use pine - I don't believe it is practical to make it secure. :-(
	[ ... ]