Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 1995 22:14:42 +0100
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   is it hardware?

I'm having the blues with blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de:
486DX2/66, 32MB, WE32p, 2x Quantum Maverick 540 IDE,
running a current kernel did not make it through make world
today - I must say that I never succeeded in making a
full make world through on this system - from the first
day I had it running gcc (cc1) got signals 11,10 and such.

Today the make world stopped with a signal 4 caught by cc1.

I'm running the X server of Xinside, Inc.. Pretty nice server
but while playing with wb (whiteboard) and scrolling a picture
the server died and the system was doing a bus error on every
cc invocation during making a kernel. I rebooted and the
core dumps had disappeared. But I had strange characters
in two included files (../../sys/queue.h had a ((ead) instead
of (head) in a macro and some other file was in error,
st2uct instead of struct.

So I wonder when these files got corrupted. During sup?
What might be the cause for such instabilities? Memory?
ISA bus? VL Bus?

--Chris  Christoph P. U. Kukulies    kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de
FreeBSD blues 2.1.0-Development FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development #1:
Wed Jan 18 10:42:31  1995     kuku@blues:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUES  i386