Date:      Sun, 18 May 1997 20:33:32 -0400
From:      Brad Parker <brad@parker.boston.ma.us>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions about current bt848 code

Amancio Hasty wrote:
>I am still waiting for your system configuration --- take your time 8)

Sorry - Gateway P5/120, 32mb (Intel Alladin motherboard w/Triton PIIX)
PCI AHA-2940, 3c590, Diamond S3, Wintv
ISA SB-16

>Yes, vic works over here fine .
>Hmmm... I wonder if you have the latest driver  or something else is
>wrong. Our vic uses METEOR_GEO_UNSIGNED |  METEOR_GEO_YUV_422;

Interesting. I was using a "hacked" version of vic which I got from a
site claiming it would work with linux and a meteor (it did).  I did
not realize that they whacked the encode portion to use PACKED...

I switched to a stock version of vic (which used the PLANAR mode) and
it works...  oh well.  I should have guessed.  No wonder it worked for
you.

>Looking a little bit more into the driver . Just fill out an entry
>for YUV_422 and YUV_PACKED and make sure that the mode type is set to
>to the respective video format:  METEOR_GEO_YUV_422 and METEOR_YUV_PACKED.
>Currently, yuv_422 and yuv_packed dont use any byte or word swapping on
>the Bt848.

Yes, it's all clear now.  I did get "packed 4:2:2 mode working",
finally, but only by turning on byte and word swapping and making some
fixes.

I think the dma program for packed 422 is slightly wrong:
- it has some strange "b" offset write; I took this out
- the odd field sync and the final sync looks for the wrong frame
(the 'case 3' should look for an odd field and the final sync should look
for an even I believe)
- the fifo threshold setting ('capcontrol' looks wrong - the 5 should be 6)
- there's an extra jmp at the end of the code; I removed it
- most of the dma code seems to generate 2-3 more interrupts than it needs
to (for debugging?)

I'll try this again under freebsd tommorow.  Thanks for all you help.

-brad