Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 23:31:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>, grog@lemis.com, khera@kciLink.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer kernels

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Chad R. Larson wrote:

> As I recall, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > The buildkernel target is designed solely for upgrading and
> > cross-compiling purposes.
>
> That's not what Kris is saying.

Actually the "upgrading" bit is precisely what I was saying. It is true
that buildkernel won't work in the case when you *haven't* upgraded your
sources and haven't built world, and you just want to reconfigure your
kernel with different options (because buildkernel relies on /usr/obj
containing the required bits from buildworld), so in this case you have to
use the old "config; make depend; make all; make install" method.

Probably we can come up with something better which does everything -
having two methods for the two cases of upgrading and simply recompiling
your kernel is a bit confusing - but as things stand now there's no other
foolproof way to build your kernels during an upgrade, which is the point
I was trying to gte across. But that is off-topic for this mailing list
and should be taken up on -arch.

Kris