Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 18:43:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Subject:   Feedback on new drivers (was: Re: Anybody actually using gigabit ethernet?)

There should be a more general mechanism for this. I have the same
problem with the USB stuff. 100+ people on the usb-bsd mailing list and
only answers to directed questions.

What about, like 'HEADS-UP', a 'FEEDBACK: <drivername>' message that
should invite people to send 'it works' messages. And maybe provide
a template of commands to cut and paste. Something like:

	(echo it works for me
	uname -a
	ident <source code for driver>
	dmesg | grep '^<drivername>'
	) | mail -s "<drivername>" person@address

assuming that people are too lazy to type things in themselves.

Cheers,

Nick

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Bill Paul wrote:

 > I'm wondering if anybody out there has actually done any experimentation
 > with gigabit ethernet boards using the Alteon Tigon driver. I know that
 > it works on my hardware, but it's nice to actually have some feedback
 > from people so that I know if it's actually working worth a damn. So
 > far I have not heard a peep out of anybody, other than a couple of people
 > who were nice enough to help out with some driver testing, and that
 > was months ago.
 >
 > I usually consider this a good thing, because it means that at least
 > nobody is complaining. But when people ask me "hey Bill, how well do
 > these boards work with FreeBSD?" all I can tell them is that they seem
 > to work okay in my limited test environment. This does not exactly
 > provide a lot of motivation to go out and buy some gigabit ethernet
 > cards.
 >
 > Also, I only have access to a limited selection of cards (I have a 3Com
 > and a Netgear board, and others have tested AceNIC boards) so I don't
 > know for sure if some of the ones that I claim to support actually
 > work. (I don't have any reason to believe they won't, but Murphy's
 > Law applies.) I also don't have access to a gigabit switch, so my
 > testing is limited to blasting traffic between two hosts through a
 > fiber patch.
 >
 > So, if anybody is actually using a Tigon-based gigabit board with
 > STABLE or CURRENT, let me know. Is it working reliably? Is performance
 > good? Is it bad? Inquiring minds want to know.
 >
 > -Bill
 >
 > --
 > -Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager, Master of Unix-Fu
 > Work:         wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu | Center for Telecommunications Research
 > Home:  wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu | Columbia University, New York City

ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy