Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:34:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: simple FreeBSD shaper questions :)

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Dennis wrote:

> Someone asked about the product, so at least one person does, and thats
> enough. When some irate ex-customer blabs garbage out of context an
> explanation is warranted. These lists get archived, and people rely on
> them. We cant have cry-babies like andy dills airing his frustration
> effecting how people make decisions on how they run their businesses.

Well then, let's talk about how your bwmgr would hard-lock the kernel
(under various hardware with various kernels and releases), whenever a
rule was removed and readded with different bandwidth levels. It made the
product pretty useless for a period of time, because that was the only way
to adjust the bandwidth until you recently changed the behavior of "bwmgr
add" to modify previous rules. No hardlocks under 4.2, I'll give you that.

I hear good things about your T1 cards, but I have no experience with
them. I hear mixed things and have mixed results about your bwmgr,
although the product finally, after 3 years, seems to be production ready.
However, ipfw replicates the core usage, and you can make your own mrtg
graphs. However, buyer beware. It's pretty obvious what type of guy Dennis
is.

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access