Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 1997 23:42:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: analog and Apache?

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> If you have a program that can handle multiple pending queries at once
> (not nice to do with current resolvers), you could speed things up a good
> bit more.  Hmm, perhaps I should try that.  Fork a bunch of child
> processes and have a parent process send names to be resolved to them.

My first few hacks have got the time, starting with a restarted named to
clear the cache, for a 10000 lookup logfile down to 20 seconds on a P120
with a decent connection to the net.  Using just the logresolve program
that is distributed with Apache, that same file took 370 seconds before
any changes.

At that point it was being CPU limited.

I'll probably make a nicer implementation of this sometime and add it to
the logresolve program distributed with Apache.