Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 1995 22:47:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        Michael Beckmann <beckmann@powermac.stud.th-darmstadt.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

On Sat, 9 Sep 1995, Michael Beckmann wrote:

> >> The IBM DFHS line of drives, absolutely.  7 ms access, 7200 rpm, MTBF
> >> 1.000.000 h. Available as both Fast - and Wide SCSI-II drives.
> >>
> >> I would always prefer these drives and not buy a Barracuda, since I have
> >> made very good experiences with IBM drives in both reliability and speed.
> >
> >        Are these DeskStar or FireStar lines of drives?
>
> Certainly not the Deskstar. I have the Deskstar datasheet here, they are
> pretty good, but not IBMs High End drives. The deskstar are rated at
> 500.000 h MTBF, 5400 rpm and 10.5 ms av. seek; available with 540 MB and 1
> GB capacity.

	What are IBM's high end line of drives called?

> BTW, according to recent tests in c't (German computer magazine) the DFHS
> drives from IBM outperform the Barracudas slightly. In the test only one of
> the Barracuras was a bit faster than the IBM DFHS; it was a Wide SCSI
> model. IBMs Wide SCSI drives weren't tested.
>
> Regards, and sorry it took me so long to answer,

	That's okay.... Any opinions/comments on the Sequent DSP5400 4
GIG 5.25" FH SCSI drive though?  Are these any good and are they really
made by DEC?

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!