Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 09:38:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using SGML

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> Is there a source of information for tags that can be used?

I started a little guide, but I don't think it has everything you
would be after, and the specifics about formatting are a little
out of date, but have a look:

 http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber/docbook/markupguide.html

The authoritative, and somewhat overwhelming, source is the
Docbook reference, which can be found at either:

 http://www.ora.com/davenport/dbdoc/ref/
 http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber/docbook/doc/ref/

> Basically besides titles of "chapters" this document has text that's
> in bold and text that's underlined (and maybe some bold underlined
> text).  I understand that I'm supposed to classify these various
> bits of text rather than designate how they are to appear....
> although the tag <emphasis> seems usable.  Where would I find others,
> or am I asking for something that doesn't exist?

To narrow your search through the docbook reference, here is a
list of things you can put "inline" in a paragraph:

  <application>  <author>  <authorinitials>  <beginpage>  <blockquote>
  <calloutlist>  <caution>  <citation>  <citerefentry>  <citetitle>
  <classname>  <cmdsynopsis>  <command>  <comment>  <computeroutput>
  <firstterm>  <footnote>  <footnoteref>  <foreignphrase>  <funcsynopsis>
  <important>  <indexterm>  <informalequation>  <informalexample>
  <informaltable>  <inlineequation>  <inlinegraphic>  <interface>
  <option>  <optional>  <orderedlist>  <othercredit>  <parameter>  <phrase>
  <productname>  <productnumber>  <programlisting>  <programlistingco>
  <structfield>  <structname>  <subscript>  <superscript>  <symbol>

Something you won't find in any documentation is that both
sgmlfmt and my jade stylesheets for docbook handle some special
cases of the <emphasis> element:

 <emphasis role="bf">bold</emphasis>
 <emphasis role="it">italic</emphasis>
 <emphasis role="tt">typewriter</emphasis>

And if you need it, I could see about adding "ul" for underline.
I suppose I should add "bi" for bold-italic too.  However, it is
best to avoid these if possible because it makes your document
dependent on my processing tool, which is what SGML is all about
avoiding!

> P.S. Would it be important to upgrade from sgmlfmt 1.3--I notice
> there are some changes.

The only changes were to linuxdoc processing.

Tell me how it goes...my wife has a large quantity of XyWrite files
kicking around.

-john